List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] New NVIDIA drivers available
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-20 14:29:36

On 20/01/14 00:07, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 20/01/14 02:06, Alvin Beach wrote:
>> I tried the RPMs from the nvidia repo (for 12.3) and I would get high CPU usage (80%+) while
>> starting/playing L4D2. In fact, that was just starting the game. The game was unplayable as it would
>> could not get past the menu (joining a game would freeze). Also, as soon as I started the game, and
>> before the menu loaded, the CPU temps would climb above 65C and stay there until I force killed it.
>>
>> I tried other versions from other repos (some from in home:/), but the same thing.
>>
>> In the end, I just downloaded the .run from nvidia's site and installed it manually. No issues with
>> CPU usage or temperatures.
>>
>> The .run does complain that it cannot build the CUDA support/driver. However, since AFAIK I don't
>> use CUDA I just used "--no-unified-memory' (as per its log file instructs) to get around the error.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Alvin
>>
>> On 19/01/14 10:42, Robert Klein wrote:
>>> [snip]
>
> The driver released on 10 January - 319.82 - has no problem compiling and there is no need to use
> '-no-unified-memory'.
>
> Are you suggesting that the new one (331.38, released 14 January) has regressed to not compile
> without the '-n-u-m' "fix"?
>
> BC

On my system, I couldn't compile the driver without that switch. I tried searching for similar
issues with compiling and searching "--no-unified-memory", but nothing really came up. At least, not
obvious to me. The logs suggest that it is used to take advantage of CUDA calculations. AFAIK, I
don't use those...at least not knowingly. I also couldn't find out what RPMs I had to install to
enable "CUDA" outside of installing bits and pieces from nvidia's website. I prefer to stick with
RPMs...less for me to maintain.

As for the temp issue, I discovered that KDE was configured to "Compositing type: XRender" and the
"Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" was unchecked. I changed the compositing type to
OpenGL 3.1 and checked the suspend effect for fullscreen windows. None of the selected effects were
effected (e.g. none had to be disabled). I'm not sure if that would effect the CPU utilisation issue
or not. I haven't retried the nvidia RPMs yet. I've been using the nvidia RPMs for a very long time
now. I just used the .run file as a fallback. But it's been years since I had to recompile the
driver myself.

Alvin