List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] New NVIDIA drivers available
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-19 15:06:16

I tried the RPMs from the nvidia repo (for 12.3) and I would get high CPU usage (80%+) while
starting/playing L4D2. In fact, that was just starting the game. The game was unplayable as it would
could not get past the menu (joining a game would freeze). Also, as soon as I started the game, and
before the menu loaded, the CPU temps would climb above 65C and stay there until I force killed it.

I tried other versions from other repos (some from in home:/), but the same thing.

In the end, I just downloaded the .run from nvidia's site and installed it manually. No issues with
CPU usage or temperatures.

The .run does complain that it cannot build the CUDA support/driver. However, since AFAIK I don't
use CUDA I just used "--no-unified-memory' (as per its log file instructs) to get around the error.

Just thought I would just share my experience in case others see the same issues using the nvidia RPMs.

My system:
i7-3770
16 GB RAM
Zotac GT 230, 2GB