List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] stop and start x-server from console
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2013-12-23 1:24:51

On 2013-12-23 00:22 (GMT+0100) Istvan Gabor composed:

>>Yes, you do, but your system is broken and it does not work.

> I have installed openSUSE 12.2 on three different computers.
> I installed packages only from openSUSE repos using YaST, and
> the systems have no package dependency issues.

> Still the systmectl and or init command you are referring does not work
> in any of these 3 systems.

Are any or all 3 actually upgrades from 12.1, rather than "installations"?

> That is, what you are saying can be translated as:

> openSUSE 12.2 system is broken and it does not work.

If upgrades, maybe it's actually the upgrade process that is/was broken.

> Apart from the above there should be some solution to restart x server.
> Maybe by killing and starting the x-server directly.
> Is it possible? Which process should be killed/started?

Something to try, especially if upgrades:

If sysvinit-init is installed, replace it with systemd-sysvinit. If
systemd-sysvinit is installed, replace it with sysvinit-init. Systemd was
still rather far from complete in 12.2, and might be poorly compatible with
whatever your deviations from default may be.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/