List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] stop and start x-server from console
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2013-12-19 16:28:55

On 2013-12-19 16:49, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
> El 19/12/13 12:44, Carlos E. R. escribió:
>
>> Both virtual machine and host were unusable, they both locked.
>
> What virtualization system is this ? looks like a bug in a kernel module
> .. it goes without saying a guest should not lockup the host..

Vmware player, installed from VMware-Player-5.0.2-1031769.x86_64.bundle.
There is a more recent version.

The entire desktop, including the guest system window, froze. Clicks
inside or outside were ignored. The gkrellm applet inside the guest
froze at 100% cpu. I could not see the host applet, it was on another
desktop. There was a popup error from the virtual machine, something
about an out of bounds widget or something. I should have taken a photo
with a camera.

There was no new xfce desktop display started, it did not show. I think
the crash happened when I tried ctrl-alt-f8 on the guest.

I had started "startxfce4" from an ssh session from host to guest, as
root (instead of doing ctrl-alt-f1 on it)

I ssh-ed from my laptop. CPU usage was nil. I just killed the ssh
session from host to guest, and things restored to normal.

I can try it again later, now I have to do other chores :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.