List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Samsung Printer
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-17 13:27:41

Hello Jim,

I haven't used that printer before, but some things that might be worth trying:

1. Try printing the test page from within cups: http://localhost:631/printers/

2. Check the printer status in cups (Use URL in #1). The last column is "Status".

3. Make sure that there isn't anything stuck in the print queue: http://localhost:631/jobs/ If there
are print jobs, cancel them.

4. If you are printing from within LibreOffice/OpenOffice, set the Printer Language Type to:
  a. PostScript (Level from driver), OR
  b. PDF
  In the print dialogue (File->Print):
    i. Select the printer in "Printer"
   ii. Click on "Properties" button
  iii. Click on the "Device" tab. "Printer Language Type" is a drop down box at the bottom of the
"Properties" dialogue that appears.

5. Often I have trouble between A4 and Letter page types. If the document is Letter, make sure the
printer isn't setup to print A4. Again, from within LibreOffice/OpenOffice:
    In the print dialogue (File->Print):
    i. Select the printer in "Printer"
   ii. Click on "Properties" button
  iii. Make sure "Paper size" is set to the same as the document you are trying to print.

6. Test printing from the command line. See if this works (as root and as your user):
   echo "hello" | lp

7. Is your user account a member of the "lp" group? If not, might want to add it. If you do add it,
then log out and log back in.

Again, hopefully one of these will help.

Cheers,

Alvin