List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Samsung Printer
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-17 13:27:41

Hello Jim,

I haven't used that printer before, but some things that might be worth \
trying:

1. Try printing the test page from within cups: \
http://localhost:631/printers/

2. Check the printer status in cups (Use URL in #1). The last column is \
"Status".

3. Make sure that there isn't anything stuck in the print queue: \
http://localhost:631/jobs/ If there are print jobs, cancel them.

4. If you are printing from within LibreOffice/OpenOffice, set the Printer \
Language Type to:  a. PostScript (Level from driver), OR
  b. PDF
  In the print dialogue (File->Print):
    i. Select the printer in "Printer"
   ii. Click on "Properties" button
  iii. Click on the "Device" tab. "Printer Language Type" is a drop down \
box at the bottom of the "Properties" dialogue that appears.

5. Often I have trouble between A4 and Letter page types. If the document \
is Letter, make sure the printer isn't setup to print A4. Again, from \
within LibreOffice/OpenOffice:  In the print dialogue (File->Print):
    i. Select the printer in "Printer"
   ii. Click on "Properties" button
  iii. Make sure "Paper size" is set to the same as the document you are \
trying to print.

6. Test printing from the command line. See if this works (as root and as \
your user):  echo "hello" | lp

7. Is your user account a member of the "lp" group? If not, might want to \
add it. If you do add it, then log out and log back in.

Again, hopefully one of these will help.

Cheers,

Alvin