List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] low cost PC with a RS-232 port? Possibly an ARM?
From:       Damon Register <dregister () clear ! net>
Date:       2013-05-26 20:55:47

On 5/26/2013 1:12 PM, Per Jessen wrote:

> HDTV causes my current box (nothing fancy, just an ancient IBM desktop,
> very quiet) to struggle.
This thread looks interesting and I would like to throw in my comments.  My media
center PC was an older IBM desktop model with a Hauppauge PVR250 card.  I used the
RS-232 port to control the DirectTV receiver.  The motherboard died recently and
I wanted to replace it without having to spend a lot of money replacing parts
because they aren't compatible with the new board.  I got lucky and stumbled on
a good board that has great legacy support.

This board has IDE and SATA so I didn't have to replace the drive.  It even has
floppy, parallel, serial, gigabit ethernet, a decent ATI onboard video and two
PCI slots so I can still use the TV card.

Another important thing for me is that this one required only the 4 pin 12v plug
instead of 8 pin so it is compatible with the existing power supply.  Now I have
a nice 4 core AMD, 8GB RAM and with AMD's cool and quiet, this computer is much
more quiet than it used to be so in general I would say this computer makes a
nice media center pc.

This board is:  http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE%20FX/

Perhaps this board would fit the need of the original poster as well as for those
discussing media center use.  I have this computer setup with dual boot with Windows 7
and SuSE 12.3.  The Windows side is working ok but I still have some work to get
SuSE to work with the video.  I am using the VGA port for the monitor and the
DVI port for the television.

Damon Register