List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] 5 years later and still whining
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2013-05-26 18:35:25

On 05/26/2013 01:13 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
> Billie Walsh said the following on 05/26/2013 10:44 AM:
>>>

>> If someone signs up to be a Beta Tester they go in with open eyes and
>> knowing what to expect. To just dump a late stage Alpha, or early stage
>> Beta, on the public is hardly sporting. No wonder so many users
>> got..................UPSET, shall we say, [ The preferred word might not
>> be acceptable on the list. ] and abandoned KDE entirely. A large chunk
>> of what was expected to be there wasn't ready at all yet so it wasn't
>> released for almost six months after the official "release" of KDE4.
>> Half of what was there totally sucked. Certain distros were do out with
>> long term releases so KDE4 was dumped early to meet the deadline of the
>> releases.
>
> IIR there was nothing covert about KDE4.
> No-one was saying that it was a completed product; all the warnings
> were there -- "use at your own risk".

Some distros didn't give an option. It was KDE4 or don't upgrade to
their new LTS release. It seems I remember that Opensuse did offer an
option but others didn't.

>> My point with this thread was that five years on people are still
>> whining and moaning about it.
>
> And what are they whining about?
>
> If they are whining that it WAS - as in back when - released as "beta"
> as you say above, then my view is
>
> GET OVER IT
>
> Its like Mrs Havisham in Dickens who wont let go, never removing her
> wedding dress, leaving the wedding cake uneaten on the table, never
> moving on getting on with life.
>
> If they are moaning and whining that the KDE4.10.3 of May 2013 is
> unstable and broken, then they obviously aren't paying attention and
> using it.
>
> If they are saying that KDE4 isn't KDE3, well so what? The Linux
> kernel of today isn't the Linux kernel of when KDE3 was released.
>
> Sometimes things pass a watershed. The elasticity of change is reached
> and evolution has to give way to revolution.
>
> So what *ARE* they still whining about?

There was just a thread dealing with, "This [ what it was I don't
remember now ] still doesn't work like it did in KDE3."

Well DUH! It isn't KDE3.

There was another to the effect, "KDE4 still won't work for me. KDE3
worked just fine."

Well, there are distros that still use KDE3.

>> There are options. If KDE3 is your dream
>> then there are distros that meet your dream. That's one of the great
>> things about Linux. There is something for everyone and you have
>> choices. If you don't like something, or it doesn't work for you, find
>> one that does fit your needs/desires.
>
> Indeed.
> So stop whining that one that doesn't fit you needs doesn't fit your
> needs and go with one that does.
>

>> I didn't like KDE4 at first any more than anyone else. The big
>> difference is that I didn't whine and moan about it I just hunkered down
>> and learned how to work with it, and make it work with me. Five years in
>> I'm quite happy with one exception, no Quanta+. Not a deal breaker, but
>> a pet peeve. I have Bluefish. Not up to Quanta+ standards but usable.
>
> YMMV. Some projects 'die' when the maintainer/developer stops working
> on them an no-one takes over.

That's kind of where I am now. There was an attempt by a couple people
to re-write Quanta+ for QT4 but I think it was a bigger probelm than
they could deal with while dealing with the necessities of living. My
hat is off for the attempt. I have moved on to Bluefish and have learned
how to make it work for me. Still not Quanta+ but very usable. Now.

It's just a shame that the KDE devs have decided to kill off the best
HTML editor.

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
-Albert Einstein