List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] 5 years later and still whining
From:       Rajko <rmatov101 () charter ! net>
Date:       2013-05-26 9:04:14

On Wed, 22 May 2013 13:44:55 -0400
Larry Stotler <larrystotler@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with many that KDE4 should have
> been called something else since it was basically a replacement not an
> upgrade.

While it was a lot different with not much compatibility with KDE3,
naming it KDE4 was logical consequence of being based on Qt4, like KDE3
being based on Qt3.

The basic problem was how it was introduced to the people.

It was pushed on all users in order to have larger user base that will
test and report bugs, which will result in faster development. Problem
was that majority of computer users have no actual experience in
debugging and can't create useful bug reports. What they will do is
just instal another desktop option, distro, or go back to Windows. That
was my path when I had minimal knowledge and no idea that there are
help options like Usenet and mail lists.

In general any change in software that introduces new concepts is
painful as people must change habits, which is not as easy as to create
new one. Add to that problems with user setups that are not easily
transferable to the new system, bugs in a new software and massive
change, and you will lose many existing users in the process.

--
Regards, Rajko.