List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] OS 12.3 encrypted home asks 4 times for password at boot
From:       Daniel Bauer <linux () daniel-bauer ! com>
Date:       2013-03-28 11:05:23

Hello,

I am still trying to install at least a half secure OS 12.3 on my
Macbook Pro.

I did a fresh install with
/dev/sda3	/boot	(ext2)
/dev/sda4	/	(reiser)
/dev/sda5	/home	(reiser, encrypted with the installer)
/dev/sda5	/swap	(swap, encrypted with the installer)

Now at boot I am asked 4 times for the password for /home and two times
for the password for swap.

I rebooted several times, it's always the same.

What I really wanted was a completely encrypted system as it was
possible until 12.1 (all partitions encrypted, except /boot).

As it is not possible anymore to have encrypted / (*), I decided to at
least encrypt /home and /swap, although it bothers me very much, that
/root, /temp, /var and so on are not encrypted and thus make my laptop
very vulnerable.

But entering the passphrase 6 times at every boot makes the system
unusable to me.

How can I resolve that? I want to enter the passphrase only once.

Thanks for hints.

Daniel

(*)
- boot.crypto was removed without giving an alternative. The page
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Encrypted_filesystems
enplanes how to "Manually creating new LUKS volumes", but above it says
"In openSUSE 12.3 the boot.crypto scripts are no longer available as
they were obsoleted by the systemd implementation." However there is no
way to encrypt the / during install (it says "/ cannot be encrypted).

- using a LVM is not possible in my case (on a Mac Powerbook) because I
MUST prepare the partitions with the Max OSX Disk Utility, otherwise I
cannot boot. But the installer doesn't let me use those partitions, just
says that there is no space to create an LVM.

I was googling intensively, but I have not found anything that could
lead me to have a secure, encrypted OS 12.3 system. I have a lot of
sensitive data and in case of theft I could be made responsible for damages.

- unfortunately it is not possible to install 12.1 on the powerbook (it
first recognizes the dvd, but then stops telling me that there is no
bootable device. I checked the dvd on my other machine, it's fine...)
google+: https://plus.google.com/109534388657020287386