List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Trying OpenSuse 12.3, but Apache's httpd server only partly works
From:       Ted Byers <r.ted.byers () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-28 2:53:37

I have done the usual things to enable SSL on this virtual machine.
The intent for this machine is to test ideas regarding the usage of
apache's web server on Suse 12.3, and while
"http://localhost/info.php" works, and in fact it tells me that
mod_ssl is loaded.  Perhaps I should modify that statement to read
that I did the things I usually do on Windows and Ubuntu: an on those
platforms, these things (ports open inthe firewall, virtual hosts
created using the certificates I'd specified, ensuring that mod_ssl is
loaded, &c.) were enough to get successful tests of SSL (the first of
which was to use mod_rewrite to force all unencrypted requests to be
made again using https - of course, this is domain/location specific).
 NB: These things also seemed to be sufficient on Opensuse 12.1

However, the server, when accessed using
"https://localhost:443/info.php" gives me an error saying the host is
unreachable.  I ran /usr/bin/gensslcert to create a dummy certificate,
and related files, again for testing purposes only (and using dolphin,
I see the files it is supposed to create, and with the timestamp that
is rational given the time I ran it.  I made an ssl virtual host, and
set the righ t file names for the certificates, as well as the proper
document root.  And I made sure that the firewall permits access both
on port 80 for http and port 443 for https.

Apache's error log actually tells me nothing (there are no errors in
it, from the time I first installed and started httpd.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why SSL may fail on this platform?
Or does anyone have a checklist as to what to verify regarding
apache's httpd server properly serving pages over https on opensuse
12.3?

Thanks

Ted