List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] No ACPI power off with openSuSE 12.2 / kernel 3.4 - SOLVED
From:       ianseeks <ianseeks () dsl ! pipex ! com>
Date:       2013-02-25 16:51:17

On Monday 25 Feb 2013 09:03:14 Rodney Baker wrote:

Big thank you for this solution.

> Hi all. Some time ago there was a thread about shutdown -p or poweroff not
> working under oS 12.2, and similarly with shutting down from kde/gnome also
> not powering off. I dont' recall seeing a resolution on that thread.
>
> Recently I upgraded to 12.2 (via a clean install) from 11.4 and hit the same
> issue. Upgrading the kernel from 3.4.11 to 3.4.28 had no effect, and I
> checked and upgraded the motherboard bios with no result.
>
> Then, I happened to be looking at /etc/default/grub for some reason and
> noticed that the default kernel parameters in that file (which are copied to
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg - the grub2 equivalent of menu.lst) included "apm=off
> acpi=off"!

I also had "acpi=off", i've just removed it as per your email and now my
machine powers off as it should, its been bugging me for ages. I followed the
same upgrade procedure as you.
I only had "apm=off" on the Failsafe option so i didn;t touch it.

> Guess what happened when I removed those two parameters and re-ran grub2-
> mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg? That's right - acpi poweroff started
> working again!
>
> Why were these 2 parameters included in the default boot params on a clean
> install of 12.2?
>
> I'd be interested to see if this fixes it for anyone else who is having
> similar problems. Maybe this should be raised as an install bug?
it certainly fixed it for me

> Regards,
> Rodney.

regards