List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Do we need a dedicated update notification icon in the systray?
From:       Werner Flamme <werner.flamme () email ! de>
Date:       2013-02-17 16:24:45

[15.02.2013 10:52] [C]:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Sven Burmeister wrote:
>> Forget about apper or PackageKit or whatever, just the simple question,
>> completely detached from the code that makes it work –  or not:
>>
>> Do you want a dedicated icon in the system try (panel) of your desktop that
>> shows you whether updates are available?
>>
>> If yes, what signals do you expect from it? E.g. colour, flashing etc.
>
> I don't mind having it, but:
>
>  - I want to be able to switch it off if I don't want to see it

+1

>  - It MUST NOT block YaST Software Manager the way things are now

+1

> What do I expect if there is an update icon:
>
>  - If it's switched on, I would only want it to show up in the systray
> similar to the way other notifications show up in KDE 4.10 (the icon
> simply becomes visible).  Any blinking, flashing color changes or
> popups will only serve to annoy most of the user base.

+1

>  - If it's switched off, I expect it to stay switched off until I
> explicitly switch it back on again.

+1

>  - Color should match the desktop theme

I don't mind this part ;-) Since I use "zypper lu" at least twice a day,
it won't be visible for long anyway ;-)

>  - If I click the updater, I would expect it to give a list of
> updates, and when I click Update, it would maybe launch YaST Software
> Manager?  Having a separate interface for updating confuses the new
> users I work with.

+1

> The biggest issue though... the fact that the current situation ends
> up with the updater blocking YaST.  Fix that and we could even use the
> current layout/tools.  That blocking thing is the single most annoying
> "feature" of the current situation, and why pretty much everyone I
> work with on openSUSE immediately goes on a search and destroy mission
> for the updater after installing.

+1 *sigh*

C., you have exactly the same ponts that I'd give. The icon is not a bad
thing, but the current realization (blocking zypper/YaST, using
different interface) is annoying if you ever try to update (or keep your
system up-to-date) by yourself instead by artcifical intelligence ;-)

Just my 2¢
Werner