List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Do we need a dedicated update notification icon in the systray?
From:       Rajko <rmatov101 () charter ! net>
Date:       2013-02-16 3:15:50

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:12:39 +0100
Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hey everybody!
>
> Forget about apper or PackageKit or whatever, just the simple
> question, completely detached from the code that makes it work –  or
> not:
>
> Do you want a dedicated icon in the system try (panel) of your
> desktop that shows you whether updates are available?

Yes.

> If yes, what signals do you expect from it? E.g. colour, flashing etc.

For me color change will suffice, but for general usability it should
change a shape too.

> Sven

A few words more:

* it should be able to start update application that is set as default
  by clicking icon itself;
* it must exit immediately when requested;
* after exit no daemons are left running; cron is the only one needed.

* Must have in a context menu (right click)
** check updates now
** exit button (menu item)
** configuration button

Configuration should provide:
* time when it wakes up to check for updates;
* set default application;

I don't want any additional features that is already available in
software management.

--
Regards, Rajko.