List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] MTP argh....
From:       Robert Schweikert <rjschwei () suse ! com>
Date:       2013-02-08 21:48:05

Hi,

Who ever came up with the idea that one needs a protocol to copy a file.....

Anyway, my son recently got a Motorola Razr M and silly me I did not do
any research ahead of time. Thus I am now stuck with a device that does
not function as a mass storage device and only has the stupid MTP option.

I've sent a patch upstream and have a pending SR to add the device ID to
libmtp in OBD. WIth this the mtp tools recognize the device and things
appear to be working.

While this would be an excellent opportunity to teach my son something
about the command line ;) I am wondering if there is no GUI way to make
MTP devices work?

I know there is mtpfs but do not know how to connect the dots to maybe
get the device to reveal it's secrets in the file browser.

Also the dumb phone automounts as a CD, does anyone have any idea how to
disable this. Running XFCE, but that the phone identifies itself as a CD
is IMHO not related to the desktop environment ;) . The phone is running
Android 4.1.1. The machine the phone gets connected to runs openSUSE 12.2.

Thanks for any help.
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com