List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Hotel Router drops Wifi connection
From:       Mark Misulich <munguanaweza () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-28 22:57:37

> > > does that also happen if you do a ping in the background?
> > > So that you have continuously network traffic?
> > >
> > > hw
> >
> > Yes, it does still drop offline even while pinging.
> >
> > Also, I tried to get a static IP from the tech services guy, and it
> > still dropped offline.
> >
> > I am gone from the hotel now, but if anyone has any better ideas post
> > back and I will try them the next time I get to that hotel.
>
> Sure this comments come too late now. However it most probably will come on
> other scenarios.

Hi,
I hope that you guys have good memories, as I am restarting this thread
after some time.

The problem was that at one hotel the wireless dropped offline about
every ten seconds or so, using any 11.4, 12.1, 12.2 version of opensuse.
Tech support was no help, so I asked the list.  But it wasn't resolved
and I left the hotel anyways.

In the meantime, since I last posted on this, I am having a similar
problem at a second hotel.  I wrote their customer service, and the head
IT guy from the hotel chain replied by email.  He replied:

"Please contact me at the number below when you arrive 			so we can
ensure that your Linux machine is whitelisted (bypassed) for the
duration of your stay.

Lastly, would you mind sharing the Internet Web Browser you use and your
version of Linux?"

Naturally, I was curious as to why this was happening, so I wrote back
and asked that question.  His reply:

"Our gateway is provided by AT&T Wi-Fi Services; we generally do not
have any issues with Linux machines being forced to re-authenticate
before the specified duration.

The best way to resolve this is to contact me the next time you get
onsite, so we can monitor the gateway to see if, why and how it may drop
your Network Interface Card's Media Access Control (MAC) address."

So I am making some small headway, but am not scheduled to return to
that city and hotel for about 3 weeks.  Unless someone here can figure
out what is happening from his replies, I will have to wait and post the
answer after working with him.

I am hoping that whatever is going on at this hotel will give me an idea
how to fix the problem at hotel where I originally had the problem.