List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: Why bin & no bin64? => lets fix lib64=>lib, bin(32),lib(32)=>/usr32/{bin,lib}
From:       Werner Flamme <werner.flamme () email ! de>
Date:       2012-07-31 12:26:21

[31.07.2012 14:17] [Linda Walsh]:
> Michal Hrusecky wrote:
>> Linda Walsh - 11:08 30.07.12 wrote:

>>> ----
>>> 	I gave a bunch of statistics 35% of the binaries in bin are 64bit.
>>> bin contains only 25% of the overall packages, so only 20% of the libraries
>>> in lib & lib64 are 32-bit.   The rest are 64-bit.  The original reasoning
>>> was continued and widespread usage of 32-bit programs.
>>
>> I was asking for examples where we do not follow FHS ;-)
> By putting 64-bit native programs in the native /usr/lib directory.

Yes, and a lot of them:
for DAT in /usr/lib/*; do file $DAT >> usrlib.txt; done
grep -c '64-bit' usrlib.txt
19
ls -l /usr/lib | wc -l
806

19 of 806 files are in the wrong directory! openSUSE violates FHS! Alarm!

> Why the intermix 32 and 64 bit programs though is a bit odd...

One of them is /usr/lib/chrome_sandbox. Maybe you should ask google.com
why they mix.

Just my 2¢
Werner