List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] switching to 64 bit
From:       Doug <dmcgarrett () optonline ! net>
Date:       2012-06-27 16:33:38

On 06/27/2012 03:00 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 26/06/12 19:04, George Olson wrote:

>>> My personal opinion is that you should always do a clean install - ie,
>>> start from zero. Especially now that you are about to install a new
>>> 64-bit system.
>>>
>>> Backup your most important files/directories/whatever and install "with
>>> a clean slate".
>>>
>>> What I have always done is to take a copy of my .mozilla, .thunderbird,
>>> and .xine directories in my /home, and also take a copy of Documents,
>>> Downloads, Pictures, Video and any other directories which contain
>>> files
>>> which cannot be downloaded again without some effort, and then install
>>> openSUSE as a *NEW* installation. This way you are not carrying any
>>> (unnecessary and damaging) baggage from the previous version (and
>>> especially from your 32-bit system to the new 64-bit system).
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> That is a good idea. One question - is there a quick way to get a
>> list of all the best apps you have used on the old system and install
>> them using zypper in kind of a quick fashion? Or is it better to just
>> do them one at a time. I know that Yast is probably easier because
>> you can just click on all the ones you want before installing, but I
>> am wondering if there is a kind of standard way to do that.
>
> You know, the only best way and safest way of doing things is to do
> what our grandparents did: use a pencil and paper to write things down
> which they thought should not be forgotten when the old brain goes off
> the rails :-) .
>
> So, the short answer to your question is: no, I don't know of any
> quick method except just making a note of what your favourite apps are
> and installing them when you are doing a new installation [***] of the
> OS :-) .
>
> I keep a little notebook where I write down apps which I should
> install and prevent from being installed (like gimp documentation for
> example). The same little "black book" contains hints and solutions I
> find in these mail lists.
>
> [***]  Not all apps can be installed during the OS installation
> process, of course; one needs to activate the relevant repos AFTER the
> installation is complete to be able to install your other favourite
> apps. For example, for me I need to activate the multimedia repos in
> order to have fully functional vlc, k9copy and even k3b.
>
> BC

I may be stating the obvious, but if you use icons/widgets on your
desktop, then take a snapshot of the desktop and print it out. This will
certainly
contain MOST of your favorite programs.  I have just been thru that
myself, having inadvertently destroyed my desktop.  Of course, I didn't have
to reinstall the software, but the principle is the same. (I was aware
that something might happen, so I had the forethought to keep a record
of the
screen.)

--doug