List:       opensuse
Subject:    =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_[opensuse]_switching_to_64_bit?=
From:       Istvan_Gabor <suseuser04 () lajt ! hu>
Date:       2012-06-27 15:26:51

2012. június 27. 9:19 napon Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> írta:

> On 26/06/12 22:07, James Knott wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> My personal opinion is that you should always do a clean install -
> >> ie, start from zero. Especially now that you are about to install a
> >> new 64-bit system.
> >
> > He was referring to /home, which contains user data. That should
> > always be protected during install, but otherwise left alone.  In my
> > main computer, my /home is on a separate drive, mounted in a slide in
> > tray.  When I do a fresh install, I remove the drive and then mount it
> > again after the install.  I also make back ups of /home, /etc and a
> > couple of other directories.
> >
> I know what he meant - and I know what I suggested: always do a clean
> install, which means zapping the /home directory.
>
> Make a backup of your /home directory by all means - I always do, on a
> regular basis as well - but do not use it for the new installation.
>
> I have read enough pleas for help, and posts containing much gnashing of
> teeth, to conclude that files (config files) in an 'old' /home directory
> more often than not cause much suffering and pain because the new
> version of the OS requires new settings. Copy over from the 'old' /home
> files which you KNOW won't cause problems but that's all. For example, I
> use xine as a backup TV viewer and it uses a channels.conf file which is
> also used by vlc (my preferred choice of TV/audio viewer/player) and
> this is one file I simply copy across without hesitation.
>
> Of course, I will now get hundreds of posts telling me that I am
> absolutely and totally off the planet and that I need mental help for
> making such a statement. OK, go for it peoples - I's am waiting! :-)

I've been using the home directories from SUSE 9.x and though I never
had big problems, small ones occasionally occurred. Furthermore unnecessary
(obsolete) config files can pile up, which can be disturbing as well.
For this reason I think it is a good idea to start with a clean home
directory and copy only the necessary files. The drawback is that
configuration is time consuming and tedious. Therefore I am rolling my
home directory and don't do clean install. But I always make a backup
of .kde .local .config .skel .qt Desktop .icons .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd
.mozilla .ooo3/.libreoffice dirs and a few files like .bashrc and .profile.

I guess that 32/64 bit switching should not affect the settings but since
I wasn't sure about it I asked what other's experiences are.

Thanks you all,

Istvan