List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: collation bug in locales using UTF-8 (cur= a<A<b<B<z<Z; should be A<B<C<Z<a<b<c<z)
From:       Linda Walsh <suse () tlinx ! org>
Date:       2012-05-28 0:11:13

Anders Johansson wrote:

> What are you saying here? At first you sound as though you are arguing for a
> single, standard sorting order across all countries, languages, alphabets in
> teh world, and here you seem to say it should be character set specific.

---
	That's the idea of unicode -- that there would be 1 large encoding
to hold all of the worlds symbols.  That started over a decade ago.

	That they would also specific collation order for each covered
alphabet should be no big surprise.  They also cover capitalization rules
among other features.

> In any case, there is no way you are ever going to get a standard sorting
> order for the whole world.

There already is one.

The Unicode specification already specifies collation order for all the
languages it covers.

I'm pointing out that for the Latin character set the A-Z sort before a-z.

This isn't the case under SuSE.