List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] How to install Windows XP alongside openSUSE?
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2012-05-27 16:27:23

On 2012/05/27 11:22 (GMT-0400) James Knott composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>>  It's always easier to install Windows first, then Linux.

>>  Never say never or always. What do you do when (not if) Windows needs
>>  to be re-installed? With proper planning and configuration, it doesn't
>>  matter which happens later. Anyone saying otherwise is perpetuating
>>  folklore.

> I have on many occasions set up dual boot systems, going back to the
> OS/2 days and

Having come from OS/2 you should be familiar with the fact that "dual boot"
means exactly two operating systems on a single partition, and "multiboot"
means operating systems installed to more than one partition.

> after installing Windows on a working system, the previous
> boot loader had to be re-enabled.

That's what happens absent implementation of proper planning.

>  Even with grub on /boot, Windows,
> will still make itself bootable

With proper installation methodology it won't, because it will already find
standard MBR code and FAT or HPFS as the "active" partition and thus have no
need to disturb MBR code or partition table.

>  and it's necessary to at least use fdisk
> to change the bootable partition to where grub is.

Technically no, because with proper planning, already exists a copy of Grub
sector for NTLDR to use to chainload Linux. It's possible to boot back into
Linux after XP installation completes without ever yet having "first"-booted
XP if planned properly. When recovering the active from FAT or NTFS is
desired, any number of tools can do it, only one of which is the multitude of
"FDISK" or similar utilities, and takes only a few seconds to do once
anything is booted - only two bits get changed in the MBR sector. With proper
planning, this "change the active partition" function, whether desired or
not, is no surprise.

>  In my experience,
> Windows has never left the boot config as is.

I must have more experience then, since here Windows normally only touches
what I've induced it to touch.

> Compare this with Linux, where a bootable Windows partition is
> recognized during install and easily added to the boot menu.

Linux installers expect not to be the only and/or first OS installed, so it's
expected of them. Usually Windows is already there when the system leaves the
vendor, so the standard installation routine has no way to assume otherwise.
M$ has provided alternatives for those wishing to pursue them.

> When has Windows *EVER* acknowledged
> there was another bootable system on the computer during install?  I've
> certainly never seen it.

I routinely do with systems with more than one Windows installation. :-) I've
also seen it otherwise. Maybe you should take a closer look at the select
where to install Windows screen next time.
--
Written on
Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 SeaMonkey/2.6

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/