List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Problem with preload in 11.3 causes very long boot times
From:       John Lange <john () johnlange ! ca>
Date:       2010-12-30 17:20:42

Ever since I did an in-place upgrade to OpenSUSE 11.3 I've been having
problems with very (more than 5 minutes) boot times.

It only seems to happen about 1 out of every 3 times but never the
less it's very annoying.

By putting top into vty9 at boot time I was able to figure out that
preload is what is causing this delay. Disk is grinding away and
everything is halted waiting for i/o. Something changed drastically
with preload in 11.3 and I now need to either fix it or remove it.

Preload no longer has a /etc/preload.d directory and I can't find any
documentation on how the new version of preload works under 11.3. Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

--
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca