List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] 11.3 Screen Resolution annoyance
From:       michael getachew <michaelhoustong () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-12-27 14:41:05

--- On Mon, 12/27/10, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <hylton@conacher.co.za> wrote:

> From: Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <hylton@conacher.co.za>
> Subject: [opensuse] 11.3 Screen Resolution annoyance
> To: "OpenSUSE" <opensuse@opensuse.org>
> Date: Monday, December 27, 2010, 4:46 AM
> Hi,
>
> Using OpenSuSe 11.3 with KDE as a pre production test
> machine.
>
> I complete a vanilla DVD install, with the optional non-oss
> CD included
> and after selecting the screen resolution of 1024 x768,
> before clicking
> on Installation.
>
> The install finishes and I login to amend the software
> installation.
>
> I am greeted with a horribly large resolution of
> 1680xsomething and can
> barely see the text. I figure to use Sax2 to change it yet
> there is no sax2.
>
> Going to the Desktop Display Settings option on the kicker
> does resize
> the screen but the task-bar shown is too long for the
> display, resulting
> in the loss of the time, updater and info widgets.
>
> Doing a Google search revealed many more such bad issues
> and my Google
> Fu did allow me to determine the file I can edit
> ......>
> (/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf), however on editing
> the file a
> number of different times in different locations and
> rebooting the
> system each time, now just saw me returned to the cli and
> not KDE.
> Thankfully I took a backup of the old file and have
> replaced the corrupt
> one with it. I would be really appreciative of anyone if
> they could
> either send me the file name and copy and paste the file
> contents so
> that I can try it on my system.
>
> If that doesn't work then it is lousy hardware courtesy of
> a lousy video
> card on an Intel motherboard, unless someone else has an
> idea?
>
> Thanks
> Hylton
> P.S: The same incorrect resizing happen on 11.2 on the same
> machine
> using Sax2
> --

yeah there is no  more sax2  i think starting from 11.2 . your video driver installer \
should set the right resolution. i've heard of people getting it right after deleting \
the xorg.conf file itself. you can start krandrtray and click or right click on it on \
the system tray and set the right resolution for you. but that will probably be \
temporary and you can also mess with xrandr. any ways if it helps here is that file \
                on my sys(i have 1680x1050).
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf
--------------------------
Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "Default Monitor"

  ## If your monitor doesn't support DDC you may override the
  ## defaults here
  #HorizSync 28-85
  #VertRefresh 50-100

  ## Add your mode lines here, use e.g the cvt tool

EndSection

----------------------------
 i think you should try it in xorg.conf though so in case you need it here is my \
                /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
--------------------------
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 260.19.29  \
(buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-04.nvidia.com)  Wed Dec  8 12:27:39 PST 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/mouse"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"