List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] One repo in the pool killing updates - probably utexas.edu
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-21 20:30:35

On 09/21/2010 04:24 AM, Peter Pöml wrote:
> David,
>
> Le 21.09.2010 à 00:18, David C. Rankin a écrit :
> > Guys,
> >
> > 	It is literally like Russian-Roulette updating openSuSE with the mirror pool you \
> > get with download.opensuse.org. There is at least 1 maybe more mirrors that give \
> > no more than 1-4K/s download speed. (utexas.edu is a know problem repo). This is \
> > getting ridiculous. I have had to kill 3-4 updates in the past 2-3 days when I \
> > hit one of these mirrors. It would take more than an hour to download an 800k \
> > file.
> > 	I have searched zypper.log and can't find the problem mirror this time. Where to \
> > look? Also, this has been a problem for more than a year, why aren't these \
> > mirrors being dropped or fixed? I end up having to hard-code the mirror I want \
> > just to get reasonable consistent updates. Something should be done to correct \
> > this.
>
> Two questions:
>
> Have you reported it to those who can fix it?
> (I don't consider this mailing list as "those who can fix it". So I'm not sure what \
> you expect by posting here. Does it help others?)
> If you didn't: *do* you know where to report it?
>
> If you did (which is what I assume), and it's not fixed after such a long time (a \
> year!), I think that makes the openSUSE project look pretty bad. :-(
> Peter

Brother Peter,

	Yes on all 3. Question: With yast, I could look in the yast log and find the
offending repo IP and hostname, can I find that same info if I use zypper? If so
where? I've dug through zypper.log but struck out.... and grepped the remainder
of /var/log for the package name I was updating when the update hung on the bad
repo. Is there anywhere else to look to help narrow it down?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC