List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Does Everyone's Activities replicate?
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-17 21:34:30

On 09/17/2010 04:14 PM, John Andersen wrote:
> Not solved.
>
> I logged out.
>
> Logged into a shell as root, nuked those files you mentioned.
> Logged back in to a stock OpenSuse desktop.
> Right clicked, selected Activities and there they ALL were again.
> Now well over 100 different activities on the display.
>
> What an incredible mess.

     I just have to post a little reminder - not to start a firestorm, but just
a reminder, that KDE4 is still BETA. (that is a loud period at the end) Yes, it
has gotten better, yes it has more features, but the features, core, plasma,
activities, dialogs, etc.. are all still really dynamic works in progress.

     It is fun to watch KDE4 develop and watch it improve, but most of us here
know a bit about code and have come to expect bullet-proof stability from Linux
desktops (that was the selling point of Linux as a desktop for years). I have no
doubt that KDE4 will get there, but it is nowhere near what can realistically be
called as 'stable release' even though we have ratcheted the number following
KDE up to 4.5.1.

     That is precisely why I had to stop using kde4 if I wanted to get work
done. After authoring 160+ bugs against it at kde.org with no end in sight, I
just didn't need the distractions when I was trying to get work done. If I have
time (and I really don't mind doing it), I'll run k4 and go look for duplicate
bugs and write new ones. If I don't have time for that, I load k3, gnome, E16 or
fluxbox and just concentrate on work....

     Candidly, I don't see this changing any time soon until the moving targets
of hal/dbus, strigi, kde4, etc.. settle into true bug-squashing mode. While it
is still in active development, the bugs written are often never fixed because
the are superseded by new modules that moot the old bug and we all know new
development = new bugs.

     So work when you need to and bug-squash when you can :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC