List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] No GNOME after upgrade
From:       Robert Schweikert <rschweikert () novell ! com>
Date:       2010-09-17 16:22:13

Hi,

Used zypper dup to move from 11.1 to 11.3, and now my desktop will no
longer display. Well, the background displays OK, but there is no panel
and right click on the desktop does not work either.

When I remotely log into the machine and set $DISPLAY to :0.0 and then
try to start xlock for example I get the following:

-> xclock
No protocol specified
Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Starting a GNOME app such as just results in the following:

-> gnome-terminal
No protocol specified
Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:

-> echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

Any ideas what's going on here and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Robert
Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX
rschweikert@novell.com
781-464-8147

Novell
Making IT Work As One