List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] vmware and keyboard layout
From:       Roger Oberholtzer <roger () opq ! se>
Date:       2010-06-01 6:20:50

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 01:24 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Monday, 2010-05-31 at 09:22 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> >> I used to use Workstation. I am now using Player. I only do this ti run
> >> Explorer and MS Java to do my time reports. Under great protest....
> >
> > A bit more information: The keyboard mess-up happens when, in the
> > virtual machine, I press ALT_CTRL_DEL to get a login. We use Novell
> > Client for Windows. When that starts in the VM, the keyboard in
> > everything outside vmware is messed up. I am checking if they have
> > updated the NCW or some settings. But even if that was the case, how
> > could vmware let some client app mess up the host?
>
> It is more complicated than that.
>
> It is the host who gets all input. The vmware console or webthing does
> some capturing and passes it to the client - and aparently it does some
> modification on the keyboard handling of special keys, I don't know why.
> Somehow, it confuses when the control is of the guesto or the host, and
> sends those modifications to the wrong one.
>
> The result is that the host keyboard is messed up.
>
> I have never managed to use ctrl-alt-supr on a client, by the way, but I
> haven't investigated it much.

All this worked fine up until about a few weeks ago. I really do not
think I updated vmware when it happened. So it was either the kernel or
X. But IIRC the console is also messed up. So I would not think it is X.
I am at a loss as to how to proceed. What I must do now is reboot after
each time I use vmware to run Windows XP. This is not fun, because in
addition to that, I cannot use the rest of the system at the same time.
Ever try running vi when you can't use the ':' (a shifted key on a
Swedish keyboard) or caps? Good luck.

No one knows of a command to reset the keyboard to the boot state? I
cannot believe that there is no such command. I trued the rc script that
sets up the keyboard (kbd) but that did not help.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB