List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Multiple GTK themes applied in kde - how is that possible?
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-31 21:12:52

Guys,

	Here is a strange one. Within my kde desktop, something is applying 2 different
gtk themes to gtk apps. Really wild. A screenshot will help:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/kde3/kcm_gtk-multi-themes_02.jpg

	Here you see compiz-config with the 'BlackBird' gtk theme applied and some
default 12 pt font, but at the same time, you see the fusion-icon menu open in
kicker with the BlueNight-II gtk theme applied with the proper 8pt font. --> Huh?

	I know the setting are controlled though kcm_gtk, but I've never had 2 themes
show up before. It looks like both kde3 'and' kde4 gtkrc files are being read
and used by different parts of kde3 - not good:

16:03 alchemy:~> for i in .gtkrc-2.0*; do echo -e "\n  File: $i\n"; cat $i; done

  File: .gtkrc-2.0-kde

# This file was written by kcm_gtk
# You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/usr/share/themes/BlackBird/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
include "/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
        font_name="Sans Serif 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-theme-name="BlackBird"
gtk-font-name="Sans Serif 8"

  File: .gtkrc-2.0-kde4

# This file was written by KDE
# You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/usr/share/themes/LaGaDesk-BlueNight-II-GTK/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
include "/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
        font_name="Sans Serif"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-theme-name="LaGaDesk-BlueNight-II-GTK"
gtk-font-name="Sans Serif 8"

	Well, it is apparent where the mixing of themes are coming from, the question
is "What is kde4 doing trying to assign the gtk theme to my kde3 desktop?" ...
and ... more importantly, "How do I make it stop?"

	It gets worse when you invoke the gtk file save/save-as dialog:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/kde3/kcm_gtk-multi-themes_05.jpg

	The bizarre part here is that the dialog has parts of each gtk theme. The
background color is obviously BlueNight, but the crappy 12pt font and white
backgrounds are from? -- dunno?

	I'll dork around with it a bit more, but if anybody has any ideas, I would sure
appreciate them. These things are a pain -- and the sad part is they never were
before. KDE3 would read .gtkrc-2.0-kde and KDE4 read .gtkrc-2.0-kde4. Why the
mix-up? and.. Where?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC