List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] HP computers?
From:       "Rajko M." <rmatov101 () charter ! net>
Date:       2010-05-28 2:48:41

On Thursday 27 May 2010 20:39:58 Felix Miata wrote:

> I refurb old machines. HP, Compaq & eMachines I avoid.

Old HP, where old is more then 5 years, and modest price at that time, is kind
of a problem. I can't boot it from USB, the rest works. Higher priced worked
fine until ATI and kernel (or xorg) went different ways. Now it is used mostly
as a XP station.

> Usually those that
> reach me I cannibalize rather than refurbing. OTOH, I commonly put forth
> extra effort toward Dell and generics.

The one of recent Dell's desktops works fine (out of the box), but that is my
first contact with Dell.

It is the Core 2 Quad, Intel graphics, 8 GB RAM, 600 GB HD.
I guess that coarse specs tell how little I know about internals. I didn't
have to learn anything :)
All that I ever tried worked without tweaking.

--
Regards Rajko,