List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] yast2 fonts became strange
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2010-04-28 14:52:27

On 2010/04/28 10:05 (GMT-0400) Istvan Gabor composed:

> 2010. április 28. 13:55 napon Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> írta:
>
> snip
>
> > > In /etc/fonts/suse-post-user.conf I have the following entries as the first few \
> > > at each main groups:
> >
> > > 		serif
> > >
> > > 			Times New Roman
> > > 			Thorndale AMT
> > > 			DejaVu Serif
> >
> > > 		sans-serif
> > >
> > > 			Arial
> > > 			Albany AMT
> > > 			Verdana
> >
> > > 		monospace
> > >
> > > 			Courier New
> > > 			Consolas
> > > 			Andale Mono
> >
> > Are all 3 of those in the sans-serif list actually installed? If not,
> > something else lower in the list is being used for /etc/sysconfig Editor.
> > Likely #s 4-5 are DejaVu Sans/Bitstream Vera Sans.
>
> I have Arial and Verdana, don't have Albany AMT. But if Arial is available why \
> would be any of the remaining on the list used?
> > > None of these that I have at all looks similar to the one is used in yast2 \
> > > titles. And, if I change font type in qtconfig as root, the font type in yast \
> > > window changes immediately except the abovementioned title font.  It remains \
> > > strange and ugly.
> >
> > The trouble with the font used for /etc/sysconfig Editor looks like one of
> > hinting/bytecode. Which openSUSE version are you using? Exactly which font
> > package(s) did you install? Which X desktop do you use?
>
> I have openSUSE 11.2 with KDE 3.5. I have Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New fonts
> (all msttcorefonts).
>
> I have these font packages:
>
> > rpm -qa|grep -i fonts|sort
> bpg-fonts-0.20050518-182.1.noarch
> droid-fonts-1.0-3.1.noarch
> ec-fonts-mftraced-1.0.12-244.1.noarch
> fetchmsttfonts-11.2-6.6.12.noarch
> fonts-config-20080121-54.2.noarch
> fonts-thryomanes-1.2-169.1.noarch
> free-ttf-fonts-1.0-342.1.noarch
> ghostscript-fonts-other-8.64-6.2.1.i586
> ghostscript-fonts-std-8.64-6.2.1.i586
> pullin-msttf-fonts-11.2-6.6.7.noarch
> sgi-fonts-1.0-927.1.noarch
> tv-fonts-1.1-425.1.noarch
> xorg-x11-fonts-7.4-6.3.noarch
> xorg-x11-fonts-core-7.4-6.3.noarch
> xorg-x11-fonts-devel-7.4-5.1.i586

Several of those I'm not familiar with. I suppose it's possible one or more
have a dedicated alias that overrides the generics from
/etc/fonts/suse-post-user.conf. Digging through /etc/fonts*conf you might
find such a thing.

From your list I don't have: bpg-fonts, ec-fonts-mftraced, fonts-thryomanes,
free-ttf-fonts or sgi-fonts. You could try removing one or more of them.

I have that you don't: patterns-openSUSE-fonts, patterns-openSUSE-fonts-opt.
Maybe installing those would fix something.

> > > See the sample images, in qtconfig font type/size is set to:

> > > Sans Serif 10 pt:
> > > http://i40.tinypic.com/34tem80.jpg

> > > Sans Serif 14 pt:
> > > http://i42.tinypic.com/rw15y0.jpg

> > > The text "/etc/sysconfig Editor" looked normal earlier.
> > > How could I change it back to use normal font?

> > Maybe reinstalling DejaVu fonts will fix your problem, or adding Liberation
> > fonts. If you still have an agfa-fonts rpm available, which supplies
> > Thorndale and Albany AMT, try installing it. Or if you don't have M$ fonts
> > installed, try installing them, or at least Arial (and/or Verdana if you can
> > stand its bloated x-height).

> I reinstalled Dejavu fonts, added Liberation fonts, step by step.
> Could not find agfa fonts. Arial, Verdana, I had already.
> No change.

I was suggesting one or maybe two of the above, not all. For most people
there's no need for agfa-fonts if M$ fonts are installed.

> > Also verify in your desktop's fonts settings that suitable settings for
> > anti-alias and hinting exist. I think the hinting default is "full", which I
> > dislike (as it usually looks more like "none") and always change to "medium".

> I use antialiasing at medium hinting level too.

> Here you can see how it looks 'normal' on another system (and previously on this \
> system):

> Sans-Serif-10pt-OK:
> http://i41.tinypic.com/ftotua.jpg

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/ss112-kde3-yast-sysconfig-editor-120dpi.png is
11.2/3.5.x on the puter connected to my TV.

> Sans-Serif-14pt-OK:
> http://i40.tinypic.com/ie2fzn.jpg

Do you have anything in ~/.fonts?
--
"Suppos [sic] a nation in some distant region, should
take the Bible for their only law book, and every member

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/