List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Reinstall of 11.1 troubles - Resolved perhaps.
From:       Marc Chamberlin <marc () marcchamberlin ! com>
Date:       2009-09-07 17:00:03

Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Basil Chupin skrev:
>
>> Marc Chamberlin wrote:

>>> Well that exposed yet another problem! When I bring up a terminal and
>>> try to type in it, all of the letters are being displayed as if they
>>> are being typed on top of each other. In other words there is no
>>> advancement of the curser taking place when typing in one character to
>>> the next!
>>> So I decided to just "blind" type in the commands to su to root,
>>> password and then sax.sh -a...  That printed out a message saying Sax
>>> was already configured and that I should run sax2 -r  So again I blind
>>> typed that in and it appears as if the display is halted, I get a
>>> brief glimpse of what looks like the boot up output and then the
>>> display simply goes blank and nothing further happens...
>>>
>>>   Marc.
>>>

>> May I suggest that you re-install oS from scratch, and unless you are
>> running GNOME or have some dislike of KDE4.3 may I suggest that you
>> download the Live CD created by Stephan Binner which has 11.1 but with
>> the 4.3 Desktop. The URL is    http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/
>>
>> Now, you may also have the need to retain some of your existing files -
>> eg, your mail files - then get hold of SYSTEM RESCUE DISC and use
>> midnight commander (mc) to make backups of the files then re-install 11.1.
>>
>> BC
>>

> When you invoke 'sax', you do that in a terminal, you write. I suppose
> that's from within your corrupted GUI.
>
> May I suggest that you forget the terminal and go to a complete new
> shell, type CTRL+ALT+F1
>
> This should bring you to a new - non GUI - shell. Log in as root and fix
> your X setup with sax as per directions.

Thanks Verner, that seems to have done the trick. I had forgotten about
using a non GUI shell. The automatic setup switch in Sax got me most of
the way and then I was able to correctly set the resolution for my
terminal. So for the moment my SuSE system seems to be back up an
running, but leaves me with an uneasy feeling... The repositories I had
set up, for fetching software and updates not in the main SuSE distro,
are messed up still and I will have to reconfigure all of that manually,
it appears. It also appears my MythTV got toasted as well so am in the
process of restoring that as well... But at least I got a GUI now that I
can work with...

I think it would be a good idea to rework Yast and Sax a bit so as to
have scroll bars in case some other poor user gets into the same mess I
did... If those tools come up in a display mode that makes it impossible
for them to fit entirely on the screen, it is near impossible to use
them. Or a better idea would be to give the desktop itself the ability
to have a scroll bar, perhaps optionally...

    Marc..