List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Intel 845 problem with 11.1
From:       Rafa Griman <rafagriman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-22 20:29:08

Hi :)

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 20:32:59 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2009-07-22 at 08:55 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >> Stay on 11.0
> >> Try another distro.
> >
> > Yea, that will help [not].  Most likely the problem will track the
> > hardware across distributions - I've seen this many times.  They are all
> > packaging X, etc... 99.44% of the exact same software.  Distro hopping
> > is a complete waste of time.
>
> Maybe not. I have read reports of other distros working perfectly re Intel
> graphics on the same machine, out of the box. Why I have no idea.

I've "suffered" Intel gfx card drivers with openSUSE and had no problem
whatsoever with other distros (ArchLinux and Debian). Hardware:
	- Dell laptop
	- Asus R2
	- MSI Wind
	- Acer ONE

All of them with Intel GPUs and issues with openSUSE 11.0 and 11.1. Switched
to Debian and/or Arch ... problems dissappeared. E-mailed the xorg openSUSE
mailing list because I saw the issue closed in bugzilla but haven't got a
reply yet, and that was a long time ago.

So maybe distro hopping is not such a bad idea. Wasn't in my case for this
hardware with Intel GPUs.

Right now I'm using ArchLinux and UXA with KMS. Works perfect, but IIRC, 845
isn't supported in the new UXA acceleration method.

   Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

rgriman@skype.com
rgriman@jabberes.org