List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Printer cups, pam and samba authentication problems
From:       Marc Chamberlin <marc () marcchamberlin ! com>
Date:       2009-07-13 20:41:21

Carlos E. R. wrote:

Thanks Carlos for your suggestions, I haven't tried all of them yet, but
have made some progress, so thought I would report back...

Your suggestion to try printing from a command line, on a client machine
(i.e. use the lp command) resulted in a very similar behavior to what I
got when using the KDE manager to test the printer. The lp command
defaults to sending in the logged in users id to the CUPs server and it
then prompts for the password. For my own ID, that failed, so I decided
to try the lp command with the -U option and override the user id with
ROOT. Then I sent in the ROOT password (for ROOT on the CUP's server
machine) and that worked!

I then decided to risk another headache and dug into PAM further (what a
freaking nightmare to understand!!! like iptables or Samba) and found
that I could invoke it to send debug instrumentation messages to the
messages log file by adding a DEBUG option to the Auth configuration.
Then I sent another lp command from the client, this time using my login
id and password, and I looked in the messages file at the results. I
could see that cupsd was getting the login id ok but was apparently
failing on the password. Now I KNOW I was sending the right password
because I have to use it in order to log in to the CUPS server machine
in the first place! But this tripped a memory and I have seen this exact
same behavior somewhere else (can't remember exactly where and I KNOW
this is going to sound a bit bizarre) but I decided to go into Yast (on
the server) and reset my user Id password to the exact same password
that I am using. (Not too long ago I had changed my own login password
on all the machines around here, something I do periodically, and I
remember this very same behavior occurring with some other service, and
this was the way to fix it, when it too broke) Then just to follow my
previous pattern, I also restarted the CUPs daemon. And going back to a
client machine and sending a print job with my own id and password
WORKED!! It is almost as if something, on the server, is caching
passwords and unless it is forced to update it's own internal cached
version of passwords, a daemon such as cupsd continues to look for the
old password! Again I know this sounds bizarre but I cannot come up with
any other hypothesis for what is happening!! (and I think this is the
3rd or 4th time I have seen this pattern...)

So I guess that fundamentally, IF YOU GET THE CUPS server and PAM to
correctly recognize passwords, that the architecture for sending a print
job from a cups client to a cups server does work, but only IF you can
also get the client side authentication part working properly and allow
the users to authenticate their requests for doing a print. I still
maintain that SuSE/KDE3.5 is SERIOUSLY broken in this regards, as GUI
based applications are NOT asking the user for authentication
information and I, for one, cannot find any way to supply the necessary
info, either through the print dialogs, or via some underlying mechanism
such as in the Yast printer setup/configuration menus or in the KDE
desktop manager. I sure hope KDE4.0/SuSE/YaST combo gets this right!
Like I said, I cannot use KDE4.0 as it currently stands so have no way
to test/verify whether it works under KDE4.0 or not.

I will fool around with setting up a full CUPs system on my client
machines again, now that I understand the password issue a little
better, and see if I can make headway....

   Marc...