List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support
From:       "Brian K. White" <brian () aljex ! com>
Date:       2009-06-18 17:56:11

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Wednesday, 2009-06-17 at 12:06 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>>> But lilo has some uses, it works on some instances where grub does
>>> not, and thus, I see it as an alternative for those cases where the
>>> primary booter (grub) does not work. It is sound engineering
>>> redundance to have two valid solutions.
>>
>> One example I can think of - I manage a number of remote servers where I
>> have no console access.  A grub shell would be of no use here, and to
>> me(!) it's no big deal to boot the rescue system (via pxeboot) and
>> correct lilo.conf.
>
> Doesn't grub manage the serial port? Tsk, tsk, too bad... :-P

What do you mean tsk tsk?

All my remote systems have serial consoles and they are perfectly usable
with grub or lilo or any text mode boot loader because the motherboard
bios can be told to keep on redirecting the console to the serial port
after the bios hands off control to the boot loader and os.

However, quite the reverse of what you appear to be implying, grub
additionally can be told to use a serial port on it's own. So even if a
motherboard bios doesn't provide a serial console, grub can still use a
serial port, and of course you can tell linux to do the same so in the
case of a cheap desktop motherboard being used as a server (_there_ is a
tsk tsk) you wouldn't have bios access, but you'd have everything else
from bootloader on.

Lilo can do the same so it's a silly non-issue like pretty much every
single issue raised so far.

--
bkw