List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
From:       Per Jessen <per () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2009-06-17 10:00:53

Brian K. White wrote:

> But, how do you know all those things in lilo?

There aren't many of "all those things" in lilo.
There's 9-10 common parameters that hardly ever change (from system to
system) and you don't need to know much about them in any detail. Then
there is 6 lines of parameters per bootable image, which also don't
vary much.  The vga setting does occasionally, but I tend to use the
80x25 on all production systems anyway :-)

> You learned 10 things 10 years ago and they haven't changed since
> then, and don't want to replace 5 of those things with 6 others
> today.

No I don't - not as long as the only argument is "lilo is not supported
by openSUSE".

> How do you address mistakes in lilo at boot time? You can't.

I don't make mistakes in lilo.conf :-)  There's so little to fiddle
with. When it _does_ happen, I boot up a rescue system, quite often
Knoppix.  Seriously, how often does one fiddle with the bootloader
config and how often does one make mistakes such that the
grub "advantage" is actually advantageous?

> There are probably freaky fluke cases where lilo performs some task
> that grub fails at, but I have not heard a single one so far.

At some point there was an issue with booting from RAID1?  I haven't
looked into it, so I could be way wrong.

> software? What is so special about the boot loader that it must stay
> frozen in 1994?

2007 you mean.  The last lilo release was 2007.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.8 °C)