List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
From:       Per Jessen <per () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2009-06-16 16:44:43

Brian K. White wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>

>>> Like learning to drive a stick, it becomes second nature before too
>>> long. Grub really can be that easy, which may be why the devs
>>> decided "supporting Lilo" was pointless.
>>>

>> Felix, using the same argument, when lilo really is that easy, why
>> wasn't it kept?  No, that argument doesn't hold water.
>>

> Because lilo simply can not do things grub can do.

I don't think that's a good reason for dropping support and I don't
think that was the reason either.  It was a fairly simple product
management decision about how best to spend limited developer time.

> lilo is valuable primarily because options are valuable even if they
> are inferior options. Not because it works better or is simpler or has
> any advantages over grub.

Agree - I wasn't trying to argue lilo or grub either way.  I use lilo
and intend to stick with it because I (IMHO) wouldn't gain anything but
a learning curve by switching to grub.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.1 °C)