List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
From:       Roger Oberholtzer <roger () opq ! se>
Date:       2009-06-16 13:56:56

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 15:50 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
> > I have had a request by a client to see if some legacy hardware is
> > supported by openSUSE 10.3. Most of the things they asked about I
> > could sort out. It just left me with this:
> >
> > ASUS P2B-S Motherboard (CPU - Pentium 2 350/512/100/2.0 S1)
> >
> > ATI Mach 64 PCI
> >
> > The system should run KDE 3.5. No fancy graphics effects. I suspect it
> > could be pushing it with a 350 MHz P2. Even id the graphics card is
> > decent. Aside from suggesting a hardware upgrade, any constructive
> > opinions?
>
> Looks fine to me except for the KDE bit - I've just installed 11.0 on a
> PII 333MHz with 96Mb - doesn't run KDE, only runs a server.

This does have 250 MB of RAM. I have said that as a minimum, they will
need more. I also asked if the MBs were a standard size. Perhaps they
should update them instead of fighting.

But at least the kernel is happy with this vintage CPU.

> Per Jessen, Zürich (21.1 °C)

So all of Stockholm's warmth is in Zûrich, it seems. We have had a
really cold June. I expect to see polar bears if this keeps up :)

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB