List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-06-16 13:33:03

On 2009/06/16 08:04 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>> Like learning to drive a stick, it becomes second nature before too
>> long. Grub really can be that easy, which may be why the devs decided
>> "supporting Lilo" was pointless.
>
> Felix, using the same argument, when lilo really is that easy, why
> wasn't it kept?  No, that argument doesn't hold water.

"Lilo is that easy"? I never found anything easy about Lilo except shooting
yourself in the foot by forgetting or not knowing to _run_ lilo after _any_
configuration change, intentional or otherwise.

Grub has an easy shell. Lilo has no shell at all. Thus Lilo can't be easy
when what needs doing can't be done at all.

I have nothing against Lilo for those who like it, but take offense to those
who think Grub is hard. Grub is not hard. It's just different, and more
powerful, from Lilo.

The extra power is what makes it no contest which should be default.
"Support" or not for the non-default is just a question of resource budgeting
by the dev drivers. If Lilo is "not supported" in SLES and SLED, it's
understandable that they would not want to devote resources in the free
openSUSE on which they are built.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/