List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse]  Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS
From:       Joachim Schrod <jschrod () acm ! org>
Date:       2009-06-16 8:01:44

Per Jessen wrote:
> Joachim Schrod wrote:
>
>> Per Jessen wrote:

>>> You mean type 'lilo' and hit enter?
>>
>> And updating lilo.conf. Which does not work automatically any more
>> in 11.1, at least not in my installation.
>
> I'm old (fashioned), I've never let YaST do anything to my lilo.conf
> except for the initial install.  I've also rarely had reason to change
> anything in lilo.conf once I've put a server or a desktop PC into
> production.

I have kernel rpms set to multiple installations, to be able to
boot an old kernel again if any problem surfaces. This rescued my
a** several times already. To support this, lilo.conf -- or
grub/menu.lst, for that matter -- has an entry for generic "boot
the current linux system", but also entries for each specific
kernel that gets installed. And the latter entries must be updated
for every kernel install. It's not a big issue, but for grub it is
done automatically, and for lilo that's not the case.

	Joachim