List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] second hdd not recognized?
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-06-15 4:20:46

On 2009/06/15 12:42 (GMT+0900) Thomas Blasejewicz composed:

> I installed OpenSUSE in one HDD and connected a second HDD, but this
> does not seem to be recognized.
> Neither setting the jumper switch on that HDD to "slave" nor "cable
> select" does help.

Are either of them Western Digital? Those have more complicated jumpering
than all other brands. Be sure both are both jumpered compatibly with each
other and with the cable. Cable select jumpering is only for use with cable
select cables, which you usually can identify by a small hole near the
motherboard connector if the cable does not have some sort of label
identifying it as such.

If jumpering is incorrect, one or both should not be recognized by the
motherboard BIOS. If the BIOS can't recognize a drive, no OS installer should
be able to either.

> I tried (previously, with that HDD as master) to install another Linux

You mean with the two drives reversed as to master and slave? With only the
new drive installed? How exactly? Which cable connector(s) were used for
each? What kind of cable?

> version on that second HDD but failed.

Failed how exactly?

> Now I want to format that disk and try again.

Formatting is something one does after partitioning, which can only be done
if the drive can be recognized at all.

> Trying a "new installation" somehow does not work. I get a number of
> error messages.

Please share them if you want help.

> I suspect, that some files from the previous installation are left there
> and are "in the way".
> Therefore I imagined that formatting the disk might help ...

> Where do I look for that disk?

Boot into the BIOS to check first that the BIOS can find both, then do 'fdisk
-l' after booting Linux to confirm Linux can find both. It may be easier to
set the BIOS to disable quick boot so that during POST you can more easily
see what disk(s) POST finds.

> And when I find it, how do I format it?

Let the installer worry about formatting, which it will do after the
partitioning is configured. Alternatively, partition, then format, prior to
beginning any Linux installation program. Then during installation you can
tell the installer which partitions to use for which purposes.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/