List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Backup of NTFS file systems with Linux
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-06-14 0:31:38

On 2009/06/14 02:01 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

> On Saturday, 2009-06-13 at 23:06 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:13:54 +0200, Malte Gell wrote:

>>> My idea was to create a ntfs file system on an external USB harddrive
>>> and make a backup of my Vista installation with the tar command. Would
>>> be faster that using dd which also clones empty space.

>> This won't make the system recoverable.  First, tar creates a file, so
>> the underlying filesystem doesn't matter.  But tar only knows about *nix
>> filesystem permissions as well.

> Then, there is the alternative of using a windows native archiving utility
> that knows about ntfs attributes; perhaps winrar or winzip?

> Of course, it would only be usefull for data recovery, not system, unless
> I'm mistaken.

I run openSUSE and OS/2 24/7, and trade files virtually continuously over
LANMAN, Peer, CIFS & Samba, usually via mc and/or FC/2 and/or (g)zip and/or
tar. Based on the apparent filesystem agnostic behavior I've seen, I'd expect
other archivers to behave similarly, which is to take whatever file
attributes are found, tuck them in the archives with the files and
directories, and restore according to whatever attributes are supported by
the target filesystem. I suspect the only significant difference between
Winrar and rar/unrar for Linux is the GUI face worn by Winrar, which would
mean rar for Linux should be able to do the right job archiving off NTFS via
Linux boot.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/