List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-06-13 17:30:22

On 2009/06/13 09:36 (GMT-0700) Linda Walsh composed:

> 	I'm not sure what the 'we-rule-pc windows' strategy is

It means that when you install Windows, Windows writes a new MBR every time
it finds one it doesn't like, and it doesn't ask you for permission before
doing so. Thus, Windows will work, regardless what may have already been
installed, or whether anything that was there can continue to work after
installing Windows.

> 	AND please, people -- GET OFF the idea that '/boot' SHOULD be a
> separate partition.  It's 1) anachronistic, and 2) good _unix_ practice.

Separate /boot is good Linux practice too. I use one on every one of the many
systems I control.

> No one from the Win-world puts their Win boot files {IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS,
> NTDETECT.COM, boot.ini, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, ntldr} files on a separate
> partition. To even think about such an absurdity would get you laughed at.

That happens to be the only way I ever install Windows, unless I'm installing
on a system on which I expect no other OS will ever be installed. I direct
the Windows installer to install to D: or E: or some partition other than C:,
but it automatically puts those files you list on C: (which is always a
primary partition on the first BIOS HD), which is the functional equivalent
of a *nix /boot partition.

Not only do I install Windows that way, I also configure Windows to offer to
start Grub, so that if Windows manages to do something that would otherwise
prevent me from booting Linux, I can boot Linux without first hunting down
some alternate boot media to perform a "repair".
http://fm.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html

> why not use XFS for everything?

Probably no good reason if the system is uniboot. But if you're multibooting
and want access to all your files regardless what's currently booted, AFAIK
you won't be happy unless on Linux instead of xfs you're using ext2/ext3,
which does have at least two available drivers for non-Linux operating systems.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/