List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] memtest86+ .. Recent bad memory for OCZ? Anyone else?
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-06-12 2:03:13

On 2009/06/11 18:07 (GMT-0500) David C. Rankin composed:

> 	Now back to my question, anybody else seeing bad sticks of OCZ DDR2 lately?
> Thanks.

I have not bought any 1066, and no OCZ lately (only once actually, PC5300
quite a few years ago). Last I bought was Kingston ValueRAM PC6400 2x1G. It
was/is fine. Before that last was Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 2x2G. One
stick had one randomly bad bit that was not helped by increasing voltage. The
warranty replacement pair have been flawless at stock voltage.

OTOH, I agree with Andrew that voltage can be the problem, but disagree with
his description. AFAIU, a RAM stick's voltage spec is a voltage limit, that
is, the spec is the maximum RAM voltage tolerated by the part, which means
higher spec is at least theoretically better for overclocking.

In my experience over the years, if you have one or a few bit errors, a
voltage increase may make them go away. More likely if the supplied voltage
is too low, the stick won't be recognized at all, and may prevent POST.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/