List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Stupid Google Redirect URL Utility
From:       Dave Howorth <dhoworth () mrc-lmb ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2009-06-09 10:01:52

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Monday June 8 2009, Peter Van Lone wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Dan Goodman<Dan.Goodman@coat.com>
> wrote:

>> I am not sure what you are talking about. Using both FF and Chrome on
>> the windows box I sit in front of at the moment, I can copy the
>> target url of a found google search item. If I try to copy the
>> topmost link itself, I see what you mean: it copies essentially the
>> google find.
>
> That's what I'm talking about.

If I do a search and then put the mouse above the blue hyperlink for one
of the results, Firefox shows the target in the status line. And if I
right click and Copy Link Location it saves that target address. That's
how I've always done it and it hasn't changed.

If I highlight the blue text and right click and Copy, it saves the text
that I've highlighted. Which is what I'd expect.

If I look at the HTML source of the page that google returned I see an
normal <a> element, consistent with what I describe above, no redirection.

So I was still confused what you're discussing...

Then I tried an experiment. I enabled Javascript for google and
discovered all the nasties you're talking about.

So I don't think I'll need *more* scripts. I think I'll just go back to
having *noscript* :)

Cheers, Dave

PS What google have done is evil, no question.