List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kdm + resmgr problem in login
From:       Jones de Andrade <johannesrs () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-29 18:52:35

Hi again.

Ok, first of all, it's now working. :)

I decided to create the a new group with gid 505, and restarted the
session. Doing so, the errors in /var/log/messages file disappeared,
but kdeinit was still going defunct.

As I was clean of one error message and without new ones, I've done an
ls -lat in /var/log to see which files were updated around the same
time in the last login. In /var/log/kdm.log I found then an error
complaining like this:

BOGUS LENGTH in write keyboard desc, expected ####, got ####

This error led me to this topic in the forums:

http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/411272-bogus-length-write-keyboard-desc-expected-5608-got-5624-a.html

And to this specific message:

http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/411272-bogus-length-write-keyboard-desc-expected-5608-got-5624-a.html#post1969219

Done as described and everything was back. Now, the strange part is that:

1) I moved all the .directories to a new directory.
2) I logged in again. Logging ok, just no configuration at all.
3) I copied ALL DIRECTORIES BACK to the original places, and
overwritten the ones created in "2".
4) I logged again, and everything gone fine.

Now, the question is: how could It work, if I overwrite all files with
the original and seemly problematic back again? Where, in reality, is
the error?

Just reporting, and thanking again for all help. Without the clue on
how to get rid of the first error, I would not be able to track it
down to this point.

Thanks a lot!

Sincerally yours,

Jones