List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] [OT] is there a virtual machine that uses harddisk as
From:       Clayton <smaug42 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-31 7:04:50

> > Hello. I am just thinking, from the experience that Microsoft SQL can
> > make use of a harddisk instead of database file as storage of
> > database and improve performance, could virtual machine software make
> > use of a separate harddisk instead of a disk image to improve its
> > performance? I could equip it with SCSI harddisk or SSD harddisk to
> > further improve performance.
> >
> > If it is possible, which virtual machine emulator could do that?
> > (vmware?)
>
> VMware supports it. I use it for my Windows XP. In fact, Windows XP sees
> a whole drive in what is actually a single partition of one of my
> physical drives. It's bit odd, but it works fine.

It's also possible in Virtual Box, although not as cleanly as in
VMWare.  There has been loads of discussion about how to do this over
in the Ubuntu side of the world.... and what's done there is basically
equal to what you would need to do in openSUSE to achieve the same.
See:
http://blarts.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/how-to-run-virtualbox-using-a-physical-partition-using-ubuntu-feisty-fawn/
 http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1565&highlight=raw+disk+access
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=333&highlight=createrawvmdk