List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Large disks in Opensuse 11
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2009-05-09 10:13:56

On Friday, 2009-05-08 at 19:37 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Maybe you are not so good with English as your native language? There were
> _no_ issues with 11.0 and
>
> 			 *** H I S ***
>
> other USB disks, which you could not have reported, since problems with
>
> 			 *** H I S ***
>
> other USB disks and 11.0 have not been reported to us.

No need to be so offensive. There are known issues with 11.0 and USB
disks (Bugzilla). Some people, some disks, not all, are affected. He
might.

> needed to know, which is that:
>
> 1-sometimes the kernel sees it, and sometimes not
> 2-there are no recognizable partitions on it (confirmed by the OP's writings
> upthread - he tried, but failed, to create any)

Even the times the kernel sees his drive, it doesn't give a full report;
and when he tries to partition it, it disappears. I can't consider that as
the kernel fully seeing the drive.

> Have you read all the OP's posts in this thread?

Yes, I have.

> We can't expect him to
> reinstall a previously rejected OS just so that _maybe_ _we_ can learn more
> than what we already know. The next order of business is as several of us
> recommended, and the OP concurred, which is to directly connect the WD SATA
> HD to a motherboard SATA port to determine if it is the HD itself that has a
> problem.

Yes, I concur that connecting directly to the SATA port is a good
procedure, but I am of the opinion that testing with 11.1 will also be a
good procedure. Both tests can give useful data.

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.