List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Large disks in Opensuse 11
From:       Per Inge Oestmoen <pioe () coldsiberia ! org>
Date:       2009-05-09 9:42:24

Felix Miata wrote:

> We didn't get details on what Vista did. We do know that the OP did not
> permit the Vista user to attempt to partition it, but he did not say how many
> attempts were made to connect or disconnect it from Vista, or whether more
> than one was required to achieve success.

The shop assistant was asked by me to attach the USB enclosure with my 1
Tb drive to his Vista machine. That machine recognized the drive
immediately, and only this one attempt was made.

> Have you read all the OP's posts in this thread? We can't expect him to
> reinstall a previously rejected OS just so that _maybe_ _we_ can learn more
> than what we already know. The next order of business is as several of us
> recommended, and the OP concurred, which is to directly connect the WD SATA
> HD to a motherboard SATA port to determine if it is the HD itself that has a
> problem.

That is going to be the next step, yes. I may also attach another HDD
enclosure of the same type with another 1 Tb disk. Yes, I bought a pair
so that I can have double backups.

> If the HD works on the SATA port, then the next step should be to use his
> external enclosure's SATA port, instead of its USB port, to connect to his
> computer's SATA port. If that also works, then the likelihood of USB failure
> goes from high to certain, from which it will remain to determine whether the
> enclosure can be reliably used on _any_ computer, or if in fact the problem
> is with _both_ 11.0 _and_ with Mac 10.5.x. I'm betting there's nothing that
> can be done with any OS that can make that particular device work reliably in
> USB mode.

Windows Vista is so far the only operating system that could see the
disk with no problems.

Significantly, MAC OSX could not see the drive at all, so we can
reasonably assume that Linux is not at fault. There is still a
possibility that it is the enclosure itself that is defect or
incompatible. It is a Taiwanese Akasa thing - not the cheapest but
perhaps its componentry is not up to the task with terabyte drives.

It is however mysterious that Vista apparently had no difficulty with
the drive. The cables and everything was the same I have tried with
Linux and MAC with no success.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway