List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] ATI question
From:       Roger Oberholtzer <roger () opq ! se>
Date:       2009-05-07 13:55:04

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 09:34 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/05/07 14:03 (GMT+0200) Roger Oberholtzer composed:
>
> > Then again. maybe people are happy to get a new ATI card
> > when ATI decide they should do so.
>
> Some people don't get a choice. Ever shopped for a laptop? Ever had your
> employer choose your laptop for you?

Indeed this is a concern. And it is another reason I think ATI's
obsoleting things only, say, two years old is a bad thing. When they do
things like that, it makes it more difficult for the X folk to move
forward, as I am sure they fully want you to be able to use that laptop,
despite ATI's dropping support.

I also read 'somewhere' that '2D hardware' in graphics cards may start
to go away. The major graphics chip software developers (which includes
MS, Apple, X.org) will focus their development on such 3D-only cards. I
suspect it is more wishful thinking than anything else. But I don't know
that it is only wishful thinking.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST