List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] ATI question
From:       Roger Oberholtzer <roger () opq ! se>
Date:       2009-05-07 12:03:29

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 06:47 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <4A02A100.2040805@ij.net>, Felix Miata wrote:
> >My display has only two functional dimensions. No one has ever demonstrated
> >to me how pretending it has 3 helps me get my work done better or faster,
> >while it is clear that 3D is anything but fully supported no matter what
> >hardware is on hand.
>
> For identical pixel output, the 3D drawing pipeline is faster (than the 2D
> pipeline) on modern ATI and NVidia card.  I'm not sure about Intel "cards".
> Those seem to be the only 3 brands that matter to anyone anymore.

Exactly. And so 3D support in the drivers is a good thing, not just for
eye candy. And I guess it is planned to become even more important as X
uses more and more of the 3D pipeline for things. Perhaps that means
that on Linux, it will be more and more Nvidia and intel, and less ATI
for graphics. Then again. maybe people are happy to get a new ATI card
when ATI decide they should do so.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST